- 1,000,000,000 Dollars borrowed from future generations
- 4,000,000 Refugees
- 100,000 Iraqi Dead with more wounded
- 4,000 plus American Troops dead
- Sectarian Cleansing, including
- The Decimation of Christianity in Mesopotamia
- An unchecked Iran
- A Training ground for the next generation of Terrorists
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
This just in from Rich Lowry via the Corner: Liberalism is responsible for successfull elections in Iraq!
I get the point he's trying to make. But this assertion shows that wingnuttery can take many forms.
While peaceful elections are a good sign, Iraq is one social engineering experiment that shouldn't recommended again. And while we are talking about social expertimentation, let's look at some of the side effects:
It is good to remain cautiously optimistic that Iraq can function as a somewhat stabile democracy that does not harbor assholes and other assorted terrorist misfits. However all indications point to an Iraq that will likely drift toward regional decentalization in the South and the North. I wouldn't declare mission accomplished just yet.
But since Rich is on the subject of liberalism and the ability of politics to rise above culture and save a society from its ills, how about he write a column in favor of Gay Marriage.