How the Hell Did I Miss this: Fred Barnes Postmortem on the Bush Administration?
The postmortems on the presidency of George W. Bush are all wrong. The liberal line is that Bush dangerously weakened
's position in the world and rushed to the aid of the rich and powerful as income inequality worsened. That is twaddle. Conservatives--okay, not all of them--have only been a little bit kinder. They give Bush credit for the surge that saved America , but not for much else. Iraq
He deserves better. His presidency was far more successful than not. And there's an aspect of his decision-making that merits special recognition: his courage. Time and time again, Bush did what other presidents, even Ronald Reagan, would not have done and for which he was vilified and abused. That--defiantly doing the right thing--is what distinguished his presidency.
Bush had ten great achievements (and maybe more) in his eight years in the White House……..
Here’s Barnesy’s List followed by a Wingnutspeak (bold Barnes) to English Translation [mine]:
1. He stood athwart mounting global warming hysteria and yelled, "Stop!" – i.e, Denying Scientific Consensus on Global Warming.
2. Enhanced Interrogation Techniques - i,e., Torture.
3. Rebuilding of presidential authority - i.e., If the President does it, then by definition it is Legal.
4. Unswerving support for
- i.e, No Translation available. The Army is Still Stuck in Mesopotamia Last I heard. Israel
5. No Child Left Behind – i.e., Federally Mandated Standardized Testing and the like.
6. The Freedom Agenda – i.e., Insisting on elections in
(and Hamas victory – See Number 4, above). Gaza
7. Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit, i.e, Medicare Part D which was fixed by the PPACA.
8. Justices Roberts and Alito – i.e., loyal and relatively young apparatchiks on the High Court.
9. Strengthened Relations with India Japan,
South Koreaand Australia– i.e., Strengthened Relations with India, Japan, South Koreaand Australia.
10. The Surge, i.e., The attempt to achieve Political Reconciliation in
by sending more troops, switching to counter insurgency tactics, and paying Sunni-Militias to switch Sides. Iraq
In other words Barnes is as much as admitting that the Aughts was a Lost Decade.